Leader Training Courses
Building off the success of 2022, the youth training will return along with a more convenient way of training the unit kernels and parents.
Popcorn Training, Camp Wisdom, 8/12/23
Elm Fork Fall BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation)*
Who: Cubmasters, all Cub Scout Leaders and parents (all districts/councils welcomed)
Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) Training will give pack leaders and parents an understanding of the focus of the BSA outdoor program, the skills to plan and carry out an entry-level outdoor experience for the pack and knowledge of the resources available from BSA. Successful completion of this training will result in an increased level of confidence and a willingness to plan an age-appropriate pack and/or Webelos overnighter.
This course has an online prerequisite course you must take before attending. Go to my.scouting.org, click on BSA Learn Center and search for BALOO in catalog. If registering online for first time, you must have your BSA ID # - Unit Committee Chair can give you your number.
* Every Pack is required to have at least one BALOO trained adult to take their unit on an overnight campout. However, we recommend all leaders and parents attending overnight camp be trained. Having more than one BALOO trained leader can help prevent the need to cancel an overnight for lack of required training. Also, your event will run more smoothly if everyone understands the BSA requirements for camping with a pack or Webelos den.
Course questions: Course Director Ben Segars Instructor Syllabus
The online prerequisite training is available in the BSA Learn Center on My.Scouting.
- Wisdom Fall Training Event, Camp Wisdom, 11/10/23
- WIS Fall Training, Camp Wisdom, 11/10/23-11/11/23
- Winter Training, McKinney, 1/19/24-1/21/24
- WIS Fall Training, Camp Wisdom,1/26/24-1/27/24
- EL Family Campout, Mt. Pleasant, 3/22/24-3/24/24
- CJR Training, Camp James Ray, 4/12/24-4/14/24
- TRJ Training Weekend, Trevor Rees-Jones Scout Camp, 4/19/24-4/21/24
- WIS Spring Training, Camp Wisdom, 4/26/24-4/28/24
- East Fall Training, Rockwall, 10/4/24-10/5/24
- WIS Fall Training, Camp Wisdom, 10/1824-10/20-24
- Fall Leader Training, McKinney, 10/26/24
- WIS Fall training, Camp Wisdom, 11/8/24-11/10/24
All Cub Scout and Scouts BSA Leaders - Every unit should be represented at Roundtable each month in order to stay connected and informed.
Roundtable is a place for adult leaders to gather, network with other Scouters, receive supplemental training, and learn important district and council information. The monthly event provides program topic guidance, information about district/council events, and constructive suggestions for unit leaders. It is a fun learning environment that creates excitement around the coming month of activities and programs for unit leaders to carry back for implementation in their units.
Please note that the below topics are tentative and subject to change based on what you, our Unit Leaders, wish to discuss more info here
Adult Leader Training
These instructor-led courses are designed to help adult leaders learn how to effectively carry out their Scouting roles and to fulfill BSA’s requirement that ALL LEADERS must be trained for their positions. All courses will be led by seasoned Scouters who have led in the leadership positions for which they are teaching. Below are the requirements to be trained and to be eligible to wear the “Trained” patch.
(Leader Position-Specific, Cub Leader and Cubmaster, Pack Committee Chair/Member, Charter Org Representative ,In-person YPT, CPR/AED.)
CPR/ First Aid *
American Red cross
Get CPR certified – and be prepared for the moments that matter. As part of our mission to train people how to respond to and prepare for emergencies, we offer CPR certification classes that can help you provide assistance when someone is faced with a cardiac or breathing emergency.
Get first aid certified. At the American Red Cross, our mission is to help people prepare for and respond to emergencies. To accomplish this goal, we have developed a wide range of training opportunities and certification programs that empower you to help in the moments that matter.
Designed, and taught by experts, Red Cross first aid certification courses are OSHA compliant and affordable. With online, in-person or blended learning course formats, you can quickly earn your first aid certification in the way that suits you best.
* Every Pack is required to have at least one CPR/First Aid trained adult to take their unit on an overnight campout.
more information here
We offer NRA, USA Archery and BSA certification classes.
are used in Scouts BSA, Venturing, Sea Scouts and Exploring events where firearms are used (rifles,
shotguns, pistols, etc...) Leaders with NRA Rifle Instructor can teach and certify other Scout leaders for the BSA BB gun Rangemaster certification.
•USA Archery certifications are used in Scouts BSA, Venturing, Sea Scouts and Exploring related archery events. Leaders with
USA Archery Level I
can teach and certify other Scout leaders for the BSA Archery Rangemaster certification.
USAA Archery Level II
You must have USAA Archery Level I certification prior to attending this class. Also, experience shooting, teaching, and running an archery range is needed to complete this course. This is not a beginner-level course.
are used in Cub Scouting BB gun or archery events at district/council events (leaders with NRA or USA Archery certifications can also run these events). A leader with BSA Archery Rangemaster certification can open and run a range at a Scouts BSA event, but cannot be an Archery merit badge counselor.
BB Gun Rangemaster*
BB Range Master Training will certify you to operate the BB gun range. This course will cover the basics including care and operation of BB guns, range etiquette, and safety, plus range reservation policies. more info here.
Wood Badge brings together leaders from all areas of Scouting - Cub Scouting, Scouts BSA and Venturing. Our mission is to inspire
and train adults through world class leadership training that sets an example for youth empowerment. Adult leaders are provided
detailed program and leadership tools to strategically deliver the BSA program to youth.
more info here
- 141-Philmont Scout Ranch, 8/6/23-8/12/23
- 142-Weekend 1 Camp Constantin, 10/20/23-10/22/23
- 142-Weekend 2 Camp Constantin, 11/4/23-11/5/23
- 143-Weekend 1 TRJ, 3/22/24-3/24/24
- 143-Weekend 2 TRJ, 4/5/24-4/7/24
- 144-Philmont Scout Ranch, 8/2/24-8/10/24
- 145-Weekend1, Camp Constantin, 10/18/24-10/20/24
- 145-Weekend2, Camp Constantin, 11/2/24-11/3/24
Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat training programs are available online at my.scouting.org and may also be offered locally by instructors approved by the council aquatics committee or other council authority.
Swimming and Water Rescue and Paddle Craft Safety cover skills needed for Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat policies at the unit level. These training courses are provided locally by qualified instructors who are authorized by the local council.
BSA Lifeguard provides professional-level training for lifeguards at unit or summer camp swimming activities and is provided locally by qualified instructors who are authorized by the local council.
BSA Aquatics Instructor prepares adults for leadership roles in year-round aquatics programs and is recommended for a least one member of the council aquatics committee. Those with BSA Aquatics Instructor training may serve as aquatics directors at district and council day camps, short-term/long-term (overnight) camps. The training is available at National Camping Schools.
- Swim & Water Rescue Training, Camp Constantin, 8/25/23
- Lifeguard Training, Camp Wisdom, 9/15/2023-9/17/23
- Lifeguard Instructor Training, Camp Wisdom, 9/15/2023-9/17/23
- Paddle Craft Safety & Canoe Instructor Training, Trevor Rees-Jones , 9/22/23 - 9/24/23
- Lifeguard Recertification Training, TRJ, 5/3/24-5/5/24
- Swim & Water Rescue Training, Camp Wisdom, 5/10/24-5/12/24
- Paddle Craft Safety & Canoe Instructor Training, Camp Constantin, 5/17/24-5/19/24
- Swim & Water Rescue Training, Camp Wisdom, 8/24/24
- Lifeguard Training, Camp Wisdom, 9/13/24-9/15/24
- Paddle Craft Safety & Canoe
Instructor Training, TRJ, 9/20/24-9/22/24
The purpose of the Trainer’s EDGE course is to provide help to develop the platform skills of a trainer. Whether you are training in your unit or in one of the advanced leadership development programs, Trainer's EDGE can help you become more confident and provide you with tools to make your training sessions more engaging. Only practice can polish these skills, but this course is intended to “train the trainer” on behaviors and resources while offering hands-on experience in methods and media. more info here
- November 4, 2023
- Bobby Lyle- Billy Gamble Service Center, 11/4/23
- Murchison Scouting Center, 3/9/24
- Bobby Lyle- Billy Gamble Service Center, 5/11/24
- Murchison Scouting Center, 6/8/24
- John D. Murchison Scouting Center, Saturday, 07-20-2024
- Bobby Lyle- Billy Gamble Scout Center, 11/2/24
- Murchison Scouting Center, 11/2/24*
Elm Fork Den Chief Training
Scouts can be valuable resources for Cub Scout Dens and their leaders. By completing this training, a Scout will be eligible to take on the role of den chief with a Cub Scout or Webelos Den. The time a Scout serves as a den chief applies toward the leadership requirement for rank advancement! This course is for Scouts 1st Class and above.